Monday, October 24, 2016

Finally...

Overdrive finally came through over the weekend with this book. I am happily reading it now and I will return it the minute I am done! As everyone should!

I read and loved these two over the weekend. Small Admissions was so good! It was clever! It was funny! I loved Kate...the dysfunctional main character. I loved reading about all of the parents and applicants to this private school. It was really different and immensely entertaining. It takes place in NYC. Kate has embarrassing college professor "hippie" parents and a "normal" sister who worries way too much about Kate. In spite of her lack of experience being an admissions navigator...Kate is really good at it! Plus...her notes about the candidates...priceless! Behind Closed Doors was really good, too, but the creep factor...that would be Jack...made me want to finish it fast!

 

New books? There were a few...

This book is based on a Russian folk tale.

From Amazon...

"Elinor Lipman may well have invented the screwball romantic comedy for our era, and here she is at her sharpest and best. On Turpentine Lane is funny, poignant, and a little bit outrageous."

"In this spine-tingling tale, a girl fights to save her home and her life from a mysterious stranger."

"Set against the construction of the Eiffel Tower, this novel charts the relationship between a young Scottish widow and a French engineer who, despite constraints of class and wealth, fall in love."

Yum!

I am unable to resist Christmas books...at this time of year. It's the same way that I can't resist beach books in the summer. So...

This one is by the same author who wrote The Bookshop On The Corner.

And of course I need to read these Christmas Classics...in this order! They are sappy...I am certain...but still fun to read! I am relying on Overdrive for the last one...so those 18 readers ahead of me better start reading!

Have a great Monday!

Hugs,

Patty

 

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that cover on The Bear and the Nightingale! That would be going home with me if I saw it at my library.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Turpentine Lane looks delightful...I do enjoy this author.

    I have read Winter Street and Winter Stroll, so I guess I must get Winter Storms.

    I loved Behind Closed Doors...and Home is tempting me.

    Enjoy! Thanks for sharing, and it's good to see you enjoying your books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you've got your reading groove back! I loved Behind Closed Doors too and thought the ending was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great Christmas stories lined up, and really it is not too early to start reading them because Christmas itself can be busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny Colgan is a good author. I like her writing. The Brightwood seems interesting as its cover is eye-catching. Glad you got some enjoyable reads recently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...I really want to read the Russian folktale. But, wow! You bring o many to our attention! I am really happy to see you feeling more yourself. Hugs. And prayers. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elinore Lipman has a new book? That's great!! Small Admissions and Behind Closed Doors both sound good, and I'm glad you FINALLY got the overdrive book. So good to see you enjoying books again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so many good books, Patty! I read Winter Street and have Winter Stroll on my Kindle to read this month! They're just feel-good reads, and sometimes we do need these :)

    And The Bear and the Nightingale is on my to-look-for list already.

    ReplyDelete