Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Upon Discovering I Really Do Love Maisie Dobbs!






My " in a nutshell" summary...

An old friend dies...it's up to Maisie to determine why!

My thoughts after reading this book...

I am positive that I have read just one Maisie Dobbs book in my life and I really did not love it. When I mentioned this to my sister she was in shock. She devours every Maisie Dobbs book as quickly as they come out but...until this book I just didn't get it.

This book, however, changed that feeling for me! Maisie is spunky! She is a woman ahead of her time. She runs a detective agency, is fiercely independent and in spite of her wealth
remains true to herself. I loved Miss Maisie Dobbs! This book finds her being tasked to find out what happened to cause the death of a man that she knew as a child. Dear sweet Eddie...not as smart as others but kind...and somewhat of a horse whisperer. The novel takes place just outside of London and in an era where horses were just about to be replaced by cars and trucks.

Maisie runs a detective agency...and has a " boyfriend" and is just beginning to feel the first strains of confinement in her relationship with her wealthy boy friend...James. She is also wealthy in her own right...due to an inheritance. I get the feeling that this wealth is uncomfortable for her and she likes giving her money away. She actually needs to give her money away...for her own sake.

Back to the mystery...as Maisie and her staff dig deeper and deeper into what happened to Eddie...matters just get more complex...other murders occur...the police feel they have solved Eddie's murder but Maisie continues to puzzle over what happened and will not stop her investigations.

At this point the book just got more intense and exciting for me. There are secrets and lies that lead to quite a surprise ending. The last quarter of this book was excellent...chilling..thrilling...filled with espionage...Hitler...Winston Churchill...it was such a wonderful ending!

What I loved about this book...

I loved Maisie and her tenacious yet polite personality. I also loved the way this book was filled with surprises. I loved the ending...loved it!

Final thoughts...

This book was exciting enough to bring me back to Maisie and her adventures. It took this book to make me understand Maisie's appeal. I definitely must read more.

Reading this now...no thoughts about it yet...intrigued by what my friend June wrote about it.



Off to get a few groceries...we are craving a veggie soup and homemade beefy burritos...not together...one tonight...one tomorrow!

Blog Chef's slow cooker burritos...



Allrecipes beefy veggie soup...doesn't it look like Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup? My favorite soup growing up!



Happy Wednesday...it is freezing cold here! Brrr...

13 comments:

  1. Those burritos look amazing! If Maisie needs to give away any money - I'm available... hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meat is simmering away in the slow cooker right now...I will try to contact Maisie for you!

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked it. I just read a meh review for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you either love her or don't get her at all...I didn't love the one I read a while ago but I did love this one!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read a Maisie Dobbs books yet, but I feel like I should. That soup looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol...I know your love of mysteries...you really should read these...in order!

      Delete
  4. I've read one Maisie book and didn't love and my mother is in shock. I guess I need to try another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we read the same first one...my sister was the same way...I don't want to read one right now but I do want to read another one...in a bit...lol...

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see what you think of Magisterium!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The food looks delicious! YUM! I haven't read any of the Maisie Dobbs books- but this one sounds great. I will have to read this one first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only read one Maisie book and don't care for her, maybe I read the wrong one too:) I do love her book covers though! Where's the links to these gorgeous recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always manage to make me drool over your food...lol

    I haven't read any Maisie Dobbs, but I've been curious. She sounds like the kind of character I enjoy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the first Maisie Dobbs book on my list to download on my Kindle as soon as I finish my current read - I'm so excited to start the series!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete