Monday, August 14, 2017

Monday's Special Book...

I was asked to read a rather unusual book...for me...anyway.

It's this one...

 

It's a sweetly sad book written by Elisabeth Voltz about her life growing up on a farm in Pennsylvania. It's a beautiful book but as you can imagine...it's incredibly sad. I didn't actually think I could read it but once I started I was able to. And...the sadness wasn't as sad I thought it would be. It was sad but I could bear it.

It was as though I was reading lots of individual stories.

Small Boxes is the first chapter and tells how smaller animals were buried...in shoe boxes lined with fabric or pages from wallpaper books.

 

The back of the book best described Wolf Creek to me.

 

Other books in the mail...

the first three from Amazon Vine...the last one I think from the publisher...

Do you ever think you have way too many books?

 

Hugs...

Patty

 

14 comments:

  1. These all sound good. The first one...wow...❤😢

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small Boxes sounds unusual, glad you were able to read it in spite of the sadness but I suspect there was love in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoebox Funeral sounds sad but kind of sweet. It also looks like it's a beautiful book. I got The Wife Between Us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful book...it's smallish, too, with beautiful paper and illustrations.

      Delete
  4. Shoebox Funeral...what an unusual concept. I remember my cousin and I burying a monarch butterfly in a animal cracker box and having a funeral. That's the closest I've come to a shoebox funeral...lol...I've been running about the last few days and a picture of Lucy just showed up on my iPad slideshow, so I figured I'd better check on the status of things. Glad you guys are all hanging tough. That's an incredible amount of books and they look so good...Love you,guys...♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking at Vine earlier and saw The Wife Between Us...I thought about requesting it...but didn't. Primarily because I do have a lot of books! Thanks for sharing...and that first book has beautiful illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so good about restraining requests...I am still not good...I have no restraint!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for including the photos of Shoebox Funeral - it's lovely.
    Yes, I have too many books (dream come true???). Still, The Wife Between Us has been tempting me lately. If it shows up in my mailbox I'll be a little thrilled :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...this one was a surprise mailbox treat...I love those! They are magical.

      Delete
  7. Shoebox Funeral looks like a beautiful book. I loved seeing the pictures. Glad it wasn't sad to the point you couldn't read it.

    Lots of great things in your mailbox too. :)

    Hugs!
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete