Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tuesday's Thoughts...

After ordering our life yesterday...not really...I spent a rainy afternoon finishing this chunkster...when I first wanted to read it...I thought it would be a simple fantasy about a retelling of Rapunzel but it was so much more than that! Three stories...over a span of 200 years and beginning in the mid 1600's...one was about Charlotte-Rose de la Force...a writer who was banished to a nunnery. Then we have Margherita...the actual Rapunzel character banished to a tower. And last...there is La Strega...the prostitute/ witch who put Margherita in the tower because she needs her blood to stay youthful. All three women have a connection...

Actually after reading this book I think that being a prostitute was the number one occupation for women in the 1600's...yikes...with being a witch coming in at a close second. This book was extremely good and actually did not feel like a fantasy at all most of the time.






A total switch for me today with this one...a lovely British mystery!



And then back to a fantasy next!


That's my Tuesday! Have a good one!

4 comments:

  1. I've seen Bitter Greens around...the other two are totally new to me. Glad you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bitter Greens and Egg and Spoon are on my wishlist now to look for, hope they're enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am late. Bill is back on the road and I am playing catch up!

    ReplyDelete