Monday, March 5, 2012

Exhausted!!!

Of course I put off going to the market over the week end...Den was in Memphis...Lucy and I graze when he is away...toast, soup, cheese, apples, yogurt and veggies...who needs anything else...

But now we have a few no travel weeks so we need more!!! We need serious food!
Stuff for breakfasts and lunches and dare I say this...actual sit down at the table dinners!!!

So...off to the the grocery store by 10 o'clock...now we are stocked and ordered and organized...menus are set...we have fresh food until the week end.
The refrigerator is happy and clean and full...the dishwasher emptied, the table set, dinner prepped...and I have hours to read and check email and watch the Law and Order marathon for the ten millionth time...

I even made 4 jars of layered salad...they look beautiful!!!



There are recipes online everywhere. This one came from The Kitchn by way of Angela from her blog "Oh She Glows".

It's a variation on a Whole Foods ready made salad. You can use whatever you like.

I used edamame and green peppers and celery and quinoa and tomatoes and black beans...oh and carrots...they look lovely in my refrigerator and my husband can grab one and the homemade gingery soy dressing and his lunch is ready to go.

The only thing that will bother him is why he will have to take another container to dump his salad in...

I will hold his hand through this and tell him he can manage...he loves eating at his desk...with a packed lunch from me...something I started a while ago because it was fun but now it isn't any more but he loves it...we even bought him a lunch box.

Whew!!!

Books!!!

Finished this...quite yummy.


Reading this...really yummy.


Lots of delightful books found their way to me last week...I will sort through them soon.

Happy Monday!!!

I am in a relaxed mode now that everything is done.

14 comments:

  1. I quit that making lunch to take to work stuff a long time ago - it got old fast! I graze when my hubby's out of town too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those salad jars look so pretty. I make my husband a sandwich every day for his lunch, well at least everyday there aren't leftovers for him to take. Of course, I have to make my daughter's lunch anyway, so it's not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea and look of a layered salad -- what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try the layered salad. I bring my lunch to work each day- and so does my husband. I often make my husband's lunch- but he makes dinner. :) This looks perfect and organized (and so pretty)! Enjoy having your husband home! When mine is away I am a grazer (as he is the one who cooks dinner).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jarred salads were fun and easy to make...you can change the ingredients...we both love salads so this is perfect for us!!!

      Delete
  5. Wow... i take a salad everyday to work for lunch and I've never thought of the layered salad... I'll have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The layered salad looks lovely, but it's too hard to reach all the components in that narrow, little jar :-(

    I vote "No!" No to style over substance...Hee...hee...hee....

    ReplyDelete
  7. The salad in a jar is a great idea...love the look of it.

    You had a busy day!

    I did, too, but I wasn't doing what you were doing...I was transporting my daughter and grandson around. From her house WAY across to the neighboring town and back to my neighborhood; then back to her house. Her car is on the fritz.

    Whew! I'm tired, too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what happens when my husband's out of town - I just eat up leftovers - anything easy - but there's always that mad dash just before he returns to get some real food in the house and meal planning! Love the salad in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That salad in the jar is so beautiful :) I think it's a great way to pack salad for picnic :) Those books sound like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tes...I never thought of the picnic idea but it would be perfect...I used a gingery soy dressing on these and they were too good!!!

      Delete