Saturday, March 13, 2010

Firespell...And A Pat On The Back For Patty

Not only did I add reviews to Amazon, Goodreads and LibraryThing...I also began a file of all of my reviews.  I learned from another blogger, Kathy...thank you, Kathy, how to tag my books so that I know who sent them... I also learned what an ARC is...I am so proud of myself...and all of this was accomplished whilst
I was still in my jammies...hee hee hee...so here is my  very informal review of Firespell...my style... my way.




Chloe Neill wrote a wonderfully fascinating story about students…yes…again…with special powers. This book is different from others in this genre and quite interesting. The story begins at St. Sophia’s, an all girl boarding school in the heart of Chicago.  However, most of the excitement takes place in the underground tunnels beneath the school and beneath the city of Chicago.  There are people who are Reapers (these would be the bad guys) and students who are Adepts ( these would be the very good guys).  It is a classic story of good against evil with some mystery, some teenage angst, a bit of sexual attraction and just enough mean girl activity thrown in to make this book a really really good one. The good girl versus mean girl segments within the story are just totally delicious. The main yummy characters are Lily Parker and Scout Greene... misfits at St. Sophia's who become roommates and eventual BFF's. There are other very fascinating characters who all seem to be marked with  unusual powers and  the author has even thrown into this mix a handsome werewolf.   And after reading Shiver...most of me has a thing for werewolves.  Lest we not forget New Moon and those amazing werewolves. The story is totally believable and has an ending that cries out for speed reading. I have checked everywhere and right now there is no sign of a sequel, which is maddening. My only hope is that the book title says Book 1…so I just know Chloe is furiously penning Book 2 as I write this.
She better be...( my idea of a mild reader's fake threat ).  I cannot imagine anyone not enjoying this book.

4 comments:

  1. Check this out. Hexbound is due January 2011.

    If you haven't had a chance to read her Chicagoland Vampire seris, I recommend them. The characters are a bit older but I really like them too. Book 3 in that series comes out in early July. Still a long time but not as long as next January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Miss Patty ... Thanks for the feedback ... I got my email address to the "Meet the Diva" page on my blog also. I just try to hide it so that the search engines don't grab it and I end up getting spammed. I've bookmarked Book Blogs so that I can check into it after I've gotten in my reading for the day ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo this book looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review. I am on a waiting list for this at the library. Now I am really excited to read Firespell.

    ReplyDelete